Update: I’m going to be doing this workshop a third time today (Dec. 2) for CBCnews.ca. I’ve added some new examples (EPPY winners and finalists) and some other links.
We will be using many of my tips and examples for digital storytelling (I will be updating them soon).
In a morning workshop, teams of participants will analyze the tools and techniques used in some of these digital stories:
- Las Vegas Sun’s Do No Harm
- ESPN’s A Man Obsessed
- The Center for Public Integrity’s Dangers in the Dust
- Des Moines Register’s Parkersburg tornado map
- NOLA.com’s Last Chance multimedia project
- Startribune.com’s 13 Seconds in August multimedia project
- New York Times’ Faces of the Dead and Washington Post’s Faces of the Fallen
- A data visualization project featured on Visual.ly.
- ARTE’s Prison Valley
- PBS’ America at a Crossroads
- New York Times’ Climbing Kilimanjaro
- Detroit Free Press’ Respect
Here are my slides for the workshop:
The workshop includes a storyboarding exercise, something like Knight Digital Media Center describes.