I can help your organization rethink its business model to develop new revenue streams and a new outlook for the digital marketplace. I can lead any of these programs for your organization:
- Mobile-First Strategy. With your community spending increasing time using mobile devices, your organization needs to develop a mobile-first strategy. I can lead a full-day workshop, a 90-minute workshop or anything in between to help your organization understand the opportunities of the mobile marketplace and start plans for projects to connect with your mobile community and develop new mobile revenue streams. I have led sessions on this topic for the American Society of News Editors, Online Media Campus, National Newspaper Association, Reese Felts Digital Newsroom, Ohio Newspaper Association and Pioneer Newspapers. Continuing consulting also available.
- New Life and New Business from Obituaries. Obituaries have been a staple of newspaper content for generations. But we don’t adequately tell the stories of people’s lives, and our revenue streams from obituaries are fairly minor. I can lead a full-day workshop and provide continuing consulting to help your organization launch a new business and a new revenue model based on telling commissioned life stories — not just after people die, but also for retirements, graduations, anniversaries and other life milestones.
- The Complete Community Connection. This is a new business model for a community news organization, based on new relationships with the community and new revenue streams. I can lead a 90-minute overview or a full-day workshop for your organization, as well as providing continuing consulting. This was the idea I presented at the Poynter McCormick Big Ideas Conference and I’ve done full-day workshops on it for Texas Christian University and the Press Development Institute-Siberia).
- Entrepreneurial journalism. News organizations, individual journalists and news executives need to function as entrepreneurs in the dynamic digital marketplace. I taught classes in entrepreneurial journalism at Georgetown University and American University. I could lead a 90-minute overview, a full-day (or longer) workshop and/or provide continuing consulting on entrepreneurial journalism.
- Using interactive databases to provide community answers and generate revenue. I researched and wrote a report on the use of databases for the Newspaper Next project and led a full-day workshop on databases. I could guide your organization in planning a data strategy to develop new revenue streams. (This would not be a hands-on program on how to develop or present a database.)
- Connecting Your Community. I did this for the Audience Development Conference, providing an overview of C3 and Mobile-First.
- Building a Culture of Innovation. To succeed in innovation, you need to change the culture of your organization. I presented this 90-minute workshop for editors of Swift Communications.
- Technology Challenges and Opportunities. Even for small community organizations, technology presents serious challenges and outstanding opportunities. I presented this 90-minute workshop for the Iowa Newspaper Foundation.